I yearn for all animals to live free and wild in their own natural thriving ecosystems.
But human civilization has destroyed most of the ecosystems of the natural world, and is fast destroying the few natural ecosystems that are still left.
And there are hundreds of billions of animals who have no natural ecosystem to which they belong… for these unfortunate souls have been forced into a hellish existence by a deranged species who uses them as commodities within an artificial system they call civilization.
Domestic animals shouldn’t exist- they are an abomination of nature. All domestic animals are literally man-made mutants. Yet they are innocent victims of human civilization. They are individuals with thoughts, feelings, desires, and a fierce will to live. They deserve to live happy and long lives.
What is “Animal Liberation” for Domestic Animals?
For them… the domestic animals… Animal Liberation means three things:
- the entire human species embraces veganism completely. (This eliminates the demand for animal products.)
- all domestic animals currently alive are placed in sanctuaries where they are lovingly and respectfully taken care of for the rest of their natural lifespan
- all breeding is brought to a grinding halt. No additional domestic animals should be brought into existence.
What is Veganism?
Veganism means that animals are recognized as sentient individuals who have an innate right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. It means that humans stop using animals… for anything… for anything.
Veganism is the ultimate application of The Golden Rule– “Do to others as you would have them do to you”.
What is a Sanctuary?
A sanctuary is a place run by caring ethical vegans who recognize animal and human equality. Animals in good sanctuaries are treated with the utmost of respect and love. The animals are NEVER USED for anything! Not eggs, not riding, nothing! They are given medical care and have every need meticulously met- good food, comfortable bedding, plenty of room to run and play, companionship, etc… Every effort is made by the caregivers to provide the animals with freedom to express their natural behaviors in as “natural” an environment as we can provide (no cages).
There are large sanctuaries with many acres of land that are run by non-profit vegan organizations and many vegan volunteers using donated funds. These sanctuaries can rescue and care for hundreds of animals! (So-called “shelters” that house animals in cages are most definitely not in the category of a “sanctuary”. True sanctuaries are run by ethical vegans, not animal-eaters.)
And there are Micro-Sanctuaries run by vegan individuals in their own home with their own money caring for a very small number of rescued animals… no more than the individual’s personal resources will allow. And again, the animals are not used for anything.
So there you have it… that is how we achieve Animal Liberation for domestic-born animals- veganism, sanctuaries, and the end of breeding.
But that’s not the end of it. What about Animal Liberation for wildlife? But aren’t they already free?
The wildlife of planet Earth is not free.
Human civilization is exploiting and destroying wildlife in a myriad of ways and destroying the ecosystems they rely on.
How do we achieve Animal Liberation for wildlife?
I see only four possible solutions for saving wildlife on this planet.
- Perhaps humans can transform civilization into a radically different one that exists in complete harmony with nature and doesn’t destroy anything. (This is highly unlikely as humans have not demonstrated the ability nor the desire to achieve such a noble feat.)
- Since it is human civilization that is destroying wildlife and natural ecosystems, the end of human civilization will save wildlife and the natural world. Humans could exist as wild beings, instead of within an artificially constructed “civilization”.
- The extinction of the human species. This would restore Earth to her original pristine, wild state.
How Does Veganism Achieve Animal Liberation for Wildlife?
Animal products (meat, dairy, eggs, leather, fur, etc…) are produced by using enormous amounts of land and water as well as creating ridiculous amounts of ecosystem-destroying pollution. Veganism erases all demand for animal products, so the land and water can be reverted back to its original natural ecosystems for wildlife. (Of course, humans are obligated to directly repair the damage they did to the ecosystems to help restore them.)
Veganism completely eliminates the need for domestic animals. Domestic animals make up 65% of the vertebrate biomass on Earth. Remove that 65% with veganism, and that remarkably lowers the strain on Earth’s resources.
Veganism removes the blue portion of the graph and increases the green portion
Human civilization has a built-in expiration date. It is unsustainable. It is temporary. It uses up resources… and resources are finite.
When human civilization ends, and it will, there may or may not be a natural world left.
All life may be extinct- a direct result of human civilization. And Earth will be a dead planet, just like its cousin Mars.
But Animal Liberation for wildlife can happen! And Earth and human civilization can be saved with these three things:
- every human embraces veganism
- a massive reduction in human population
- a monumental alteration of the nature of civilization- instead of being based on technology, industry, and the commodification of living beings (animals), humans would become more “natural” and “wild”. They would learn how to become a harmonious part of a thriving ecosystem, instead of dominating and destroying everything
But I think we all know that none of the above things will ever really happen. It is idealist thinking… it is wishful thinking… it is magical thinking.
The reality of the situation is that the human species is deranged and insane… and is destroying itself along with all life on Earth.
Civilization will eventually come to its inevitable end. If there is still life here, and if there are still some humans… they will all be wild… along with all the Liberated Animals.
Finally wild and free!